Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Review: Perfect


Perfect
Perfect by Natasha Friend

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



2/3
It had its good bits, but for the most part wasn't great. Longer review when I'm not on my phone.
Bonus complaint: why is it that when people transliterate Hebrew they capitalize it? Shamash is not actually a proper noun. It should be italicized.
Full review to come (I should really start keeping a list of reviews I've labeled this way while without my laptop...)

Okay, here goes:
So, first, the way the author made it all Jewish-y toward the end. What was with that? Did she want to show off her bracha knowledge? (It was, admittedly, accurate, except that I have a few punctuation quibbles). It was a sweet way to end, just... odd. I could complain more, but those complaints are unnecessary and unfair to the author, so I won't.
Next... yay, it was bulimia! I looked at it and said "boring anorexia novel", but no, it was bulimia. So there was a tiny surprise there.
I don't like how vague her dad's death is. All we know is he died unexpectedly (but not in an accident; she says they didn't know he was sick.) It made me feel a little off-balance.
I think the book was written in 2004. I don't know about you, but I don't remember teenagers talking like that in 2004. The turn of phrases were weird, when they should have been familar.
The little sister was strange. So was everyone else.
Not a memorable or particularly good or bad book. It had some moments where I really felt the author knew her subject, so that was good.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment