Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Find Me

Sorry about the tiny font and messed up spacing. I don't know what happened, but it has been fixed. Let me know if there are any more problems.

This isn't an official "I took notes on it and now I will review it" post, so I didn't label it a review. I'm too tired to write a real reivew, and this book isn't really worth it. I'll write another real review soon, I just need to figure some stuff out with my kindle.

So, today I read Find Me, by Romily Bernard, because I was at the library and the cover looked cool.
13645069
Oh, look, there's a person behind the cover, and there was an annoying tagline that my library had thoughtfully put a sticker over. Being able to see the cover properly has made me like it a lot less.

Sadly, the book was not nearly as good as the cover (or as good as I thought the cover was.) I was going to write a summary of it, but that would take too long, so I'm turning to already written ones.


"“Find Me.”


These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.

Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.

Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?
Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.
But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.
Because it just got personal."

Sounds interesting, right? Dead person sending notes, creepy pervert stalking small child, love interest (with the greenest eyes), evil police, abusive dad, foster parents... what could be better?
The correct answer is "a lot". 
But it actually sounded intriguing. I picked it up because it didn't have a one word title and girl in a ballgown on the cover, and it did satisfy in that aspect- no Dystopia. (It's not that I hate Dystopia. I regard it with the same disinterest as everything else. But seriously, these authors need some originality.)
The book was sadly not about someone from beyond the grave sending hidden messages in diaries. No, it was about Wick (I was about to insult her nickname, then I remembered that it was short for Wicket... I'm all for Wick) and her quest to protect her oh-so-innocent little sister. Sadly, Wick's a genius hacker being forced to work for her dad and his creepy friends. But that's okay, because her hacking skills come in handy when they need to track down this rapist who apparently drove Tessa Waye to suicide and is now coming after Wick's sister, Lily. Meanwhile, Wick becomes romantically involved with a character who I can describe as "filler" and nothing else. He has very green eyes. I can't even remember his name. I didn't like him at all.

The whole thing mostly seemed ridiculous. Wick was not a likable character, and her mistrust of authority figures was so unexplained that she came across as a jerk. All of the adults are either evil, idiots, or both. Nothing much of interest happened until the last 50 pages or so. The minor characters were two dimensional, and there seemed to be a lot of interesting backstory that we never really saw.

It actually took me until the last few pages to realize I was reading a teen-detective novel. Which, by the way, really undermined what was otherwise an almost okay ending. The villain was suitably creepy (if obvious), everything was going fine... then the author overshot and reached for a sequel. *Sigh*
The plot wasn't particularly good. It started out interesting but quickly turned strange and predictable with a whole bunch of random swear-words thrown in (as if the author was trying to see how long I could go without cringing). I made it through the whole book, but I wasn't impressed.
If this had been a review, it would have received a 1.94. Since this isn't a review, I'm not going into details about why I rated it like I did.

Has anyone else read this book? Comment and tell me what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment