Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Review: Underworld


Underworld
Underworld by Meg Cabot

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Meh. It had more plot than the first one (sort of) but it was kind of strange and I didn't like how Pierce kept going between "I love the Underworld! Let me stay! and "This is the worst place I've ever been, how do I escape?" It was weird. Everything seemed to be happening for plot convenience (what's with the end? How can John not know?)
John's name continues to be stupid, and his backstory is unsatisfactory. I don't really get the whole thing about the Rectors. Pierce continues to have a weird thing about tassels.
Also, Pierce and John have the worst relationship ever. He's controlling, she's manipulative. He tries to trick her into staying with him because he's so insecure a disturbing number of times in this book. Also, he's turned into a weird version of Edward Cullen. His speech was totally normal in the first book, and now it's gone all old-fashioned. Not that this is the only contradiction between this book and the first.
And why is everyone who does anything bad a Fury? Mr. Mueller didn't have to be a Fury. That old guy in the jewelry shop did nothing Fury-like. The policewoman seems to be herself but Furyified because she wants to hurt Pierce- because clearly no one would want to be mean to Pierce unless they're a Fury. Heck, John's probably a Fury, considering how abusive he is in this book.
I find myself trying to request the third book in the series. I have no idea why (maybe in that one we'll finally see what exactly the Furies are doing to John to produce all of these scars?). I highly recommend staying away from this series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment