Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Review: The Rithmatist


The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I forgot to mark this one read, apparently.
I'm sorry, Brandon Sanderson, I really am. Anyone who knows me knows that not only do your books usually get a solid two stars from me, but Alcatraz has gotten me screaming and calling everyone I know five years later when I would have forgotten any other book series, and the Stormlight Archive (well, the two that are out) are some of the best (recent) books I've read in years. I love your worldbuilding, I love your characters, I love your magic systems (okay, maybe I didn't love the Mistborn one, but that's a rant for another day) and I have to admit, I start running around the house showing everyone when I spot a Hoid appearance.
I wish that I could say that, like Elantris, this just didn't really do it for me. I wish I could say that I just don't like the non-Cosmere books, but that would be a lie, considering my unhealthy obsession with Alcatraz Smedry (as long as we pretend book four never happened, we're good there. But if I do end up getting to go see you when you're on tour, I'm going to have some shouting to do along the lines of FIVE YEARS). Much as I hate to admit it, I put this book down unfinished, and I hadn't gotten very far, either.
Okay, I'm just going to say it: I didn't like it. I didn't like the premise, I didn't like the characters, and I didn't really like the writing, either. To be honest, it was a huge disappointment. It was the end of my attempts to read everything you've ever ridden (although I'm still making my way through Wheel of Time to reach the ones you've written... that is a sign of true dedication.)
It's kidsy. I guess maybe I just wasn't expecting it, but it bothers me. But not in a way that I wish I'd read it as a kid- I can't see myself liking it then either. But that's not all. Alcatraz is pretty kidsy too, and since I read the first one as a kid, to now when I'm waiting for the last one to FINALLY (five years!) come out, I've loved them (again, the fourth never happened, okay?)
But this book didn't do it for me. I'm sorry. I guess not every writer is perfect. I still have faith in you. I'll read Firefight because I trust it to be better than Steelheart (a fine book, just not what I know you to be capable of). I'll read the fifth Alcatraz. I'll wait with bated breath for Stones Unhallowed or whatever you're calling it now. And whatever else you have planned, (except for those gaming novella things I never even picked up.) But I will not be delving back into the Rithmatist world.
Someday, I might even discover why I wrote this review as talking to you. Perhaps the Alcatraz excitement has addled my brain.
-HH



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment