Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Review: Firefight


Firefight
Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Ouch.
Sorry, Brandon Sanderson, but much as I wanted to shower you with praise when I hopefully meet you someday... not about this one. The overall plot is fine, I guess. But I don't want you to sign my book when I come up to you in the line. I want to hand you a fully marked up and edited copy of what is clearly not ready to be published, and then stand over you as you rewrite it shouting "this is RECKONERS, not Alcatraz" until you stop trying to be humorous and go back to what you started in Steelheart. The metaphors are fine. I love the metaphors. But some parts of it... don't overreach. It's okay to be serious sometimes.
If I could afford a second copy of this thing, I would give it back to you edited. Because this has great potential. It really does. I just wish there had been some way for me to get to edit it first.

Note to self: Stop writing reviews as letters to Brandon Sanderson. It just happens. Sorry if it's confusing for anyone.

Thanks for reading. This is pretty short because it's the second book in a series and so I don't have all that much left to say except for spoilers when it comes to what happens in the book, but if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them.

-HH



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment