Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Review: The Fires of Heaven


The Fires of Heaven
The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I was all set to give it 3 for sheer enjoyment.
But... what happened? You killed him off, brought him back, and then KILLED HIM AGAIN just a chapter or two later? He was the only remaining likable character (which is pretty sad, considering he's supposed to be evil). All of my motivation to go on to the next book is just trickling away. I LIKED him.
Sigh.
Writing has improved a bit, but the lack of editing is painfully obvious. There's a 2-3 page section in which pretty much every sentence contains a typo- Carhein and Brigitte are the two that come to mind, and both should have been caught easily if someone had bothered to read it through before publishing. There were a lot of other obvious ones as well as many missing words all throughout the book. Robert Jordan isn't bad; he's simply unedited, and for what I'm pretty sure is close to a first draft, I'd say it's pretty good.
The plot was okay. There wasn't really so much of an overarching one (except for the Couladin thing, but that kind of felt like an afterthought). People moved around. The ending was pretty much the same as the Asmodean (WHY, Robert Jordan, WHY? I liked him!) ending (book three, I think?) but that was to be expected. You know, same old "broken seal chasing Forsaken through multiple worlds" kind of thing. Nynaeve did get a role this time, which was nice- Rand definitely needs to be saved by a girl every so often in order to keep his arrogance down. His sexism is beginning to vanish as well (thank you, Sulin or whatever your name was), which is nice.
I wrote a whole rant on Robert Jordan's treatment of female characters on my blog: http://threestarslimit.blogspot.com/2014/12/wheel-of-time-bane-of-my-existence.html
On to the next one. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment