Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

NaNoWriMo


I thought the hardest part about doing NaNoWriMo would be physically thinking up and writing the 50,000 words. And don't get me wrong, it's pretty grueling to write 2,000 completely unplanned words a day, but that's not what's keeping me back from The Win.
The real problem I'm having is motivation.
Yep, that's right. You'd think that would be the least of it- there's a clear end date, a clear goal, and a clear way of marking your progress, complete with plenty of inspirational pep talks and lots of really great people on the forums.
But to be honest, not only do I not really care about NaNoWriMo, I don't even really like it.
Now I feel like a bad writer. But honestly, I had this fine plot that I would have loved to let simmer for a few months and then carefully craft this beautiful novel from the bottom up, considering everything with the greatest care so that it turned out to be something I was proud of.
All of you dedicated NaNoWriMo people are probably screaming now that that's the point of NaNoWriMo, because otherwise I wouldn't have written it. Except that I would have. I wrote the idea down, and when it felt right, I would have begun to write it. I'm not the sort of person who never gets around to writing their novel. True, I might not write 50,000 words every month- but I don't think that's a bad thing.
I don't like my novel, and I don't like NaNoWriMo. I think that I had a plot I really liked, and it's been killed by being written really badly because I was under pressure. Meanwhile, it's a month in which I can't write my other novel, which was going really well and I really liked.
So far, I'm sure of only two things:
1) I could finish NaNoWriMo, but I'm not sure I even want to (except that now that I've started I hate to give up), and
2) I never want to do it again.
More about NaNoWriMo later... who knows, perhaps once it's over I'll see the worth in it.
Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo? How's it going for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment