Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Review: The Emperor's Soul


The Emperor's Soul
The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



End suffered a bit from Brandon Sanderson Syndrome (he's messing up my general habit of using acronyms, he needs new initials) but not nearly as much as most of his do. All in all, a fine novella, although I was a bit confused by it being set in the same world as Elantris, since its magic system seemed only distantly connected.
Also, the emperor was kind of awful, but I think maybe he's supposed to be that way?
Shai was okay. I didn't love her. She was a little weird. Glasses were a definite plus, although if she can fix her eyes, why doesn't she? The whole Moon Scepter angle was never explained, just realized that. Interesting. Guess it wasn't important.
No Hoid, which disappointed me. Hoid-spotting is my favorite part of reading Brandon Sanderson books, but I can't really take away points for his not including a minor character who doesn't belong there (oh wait... yes I can... but it wouldn't be fair, so I won't).
I liked that he managed to fit everything into such a short space; normally novellas and short stories feel very rushed to me. This didn't really, and he crammed in a not-bad magic system explanation while he was at it.
So... yeah, pretty good book. No need to read Elantris or any of his other books first, this doesn't connect at all.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment