Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Second Person

Today I finished the book Stolen. It was possibly my first book written in letter form like that, and while the letter form wasn't exactly believable, it did lend an intimacy to the reading that allowed the reader to experience Stockholm's from the inside (more on that in my review, which will be coming soon).
But  it made me think- second person. I'd never really thought of it as a good option for writing, even when combined with first person like it is in Stolen. I did admittedly write a fanfic in the same format, but it wasn't a good choice at all. I just ran out of reasons for my character to be writing to the other character (honestly, the whole thing was kind of a disaster, and if I'd just written an outline it might have been fine).
In Stolen, though... I can't say I really think Gemma remembered every single detail of her experience like that. But the letter format, when explained in the ending, was actually quite powerful. It was me and you, not Gemma and Ty.
So I guess it does sometimes work. Suspension of disbelief and all that. It can even be the best way to write something, especially when combined with first person
Okay, time to admit that I actually have zero direction for this post (my internet failed, that's why this is late and I don't have much of a topic... plus I wanted to talk about Stolen, and review day isn't until Sunday and I'd planned a different book (Parallel) then anyway.) I guess I just wanted to bring up the idea. What do you think of second person/ letter formats for books?

Sorry about the lack of pictures, content, witty comments, and anything else constructive. Blame my internet.
Thursday's update should continue as scheduled. Sunday's will be a review, probably of either Parallel or Stolen (although I did read another book today called Mayday...), I haven't decided yet. I do plan to review all three of the aforementioned books, though.
Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment