Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Review: Sorcerer to the Crown

Sorcerer to the Crown Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was undoubtedly beautiful. For the most part I greatly enjoyed reading it. I had two main problems: the pacing, and Priscilla.
This book moves in jumps and starts. I like both action and politics, but the book has a major switch every fifty pages or so, which was just odd. I felt the fairy scenes especially could have used a little more time, while all the politicking could have been a little more backseat (especially all the "whoever could the villain be?" DUH!) There were also just no surprises in the book. I was confused every time the author presented something obvious as though it were a major twist.
Priscilla... where do I start. The truth is, although I'm still horrified, she's kind of awesome. Power-hungry and ruthless, but not in the way most heroines are. She's not tortured or anything; she's just willing to do what needs to be done to advance her own position. The author doesn't seem to see anything wrong with this, which made for an interesting and disturbing read. But the end was too much for me. Still shuddering. (Speaking of which, things get quite dark by the end. It's not as much fluff as I'd been hoping).
Ah, well, the writing was lovely. And I may have swooned just a little at one scene, even if the romance was a bit of a disaster by the end (also, something feels a little off to me about the only black characters in the book being the ones in love...)
Oh, yeah, and the morals of this book are questionable in general. The author raises most of them, but by the end nothing has been done to resolve it. I'm still not sure if I think this is a good thing or not, but it was interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment