Update Schedule

There was once an update schedule. It lived a good life, a peaceful life. A quiet life. But then... things began to change. It became more and more erratic, sometimes completely disobeying its very reason for existance. And at last, the update schedule could take no more. It cast off its chains and went free, seeking new lands where it would be appreciated. This message it left where once it had lived, to warn other schedules of the peril.

Friday, June 27, 2014

How To Train Your Dragon

With the new How To Train Your Dragon movie out, I decided it was time for a post about it.
It's been a long time since I read the book series by Cressida Cowell, but they share in common only one thing with the movie: names. And not even always that.
The books are children's books, and the first one at least I remember as being excellent. Interesting fonts combined with dragon classifications made for a great reading experience.

And let's not forget the cool covers

I'm not here to rate the books, or even really to talk about them. In fact, since they're children's books, judging them aside from "I loved them as a kid" feels wrong. But I would like to remind everyone that they were a book series first.
I did not personally like the movies. I was honestly (and still am, after seeing the new one last night) horrified by what they'd done to the books. But that's not important either. What is important is that I feel Cressida Cowell's work in inventing an interesting world with great characters has been thrown aside in the effort to create popular movies.
So let's all take a moment to appreciate Cressida Cowell for creating How To Train Your Dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment